Territory: 14.36 km2
Population: 5771 (01.01.2013.)
The coat of arms of Valka town
Heraldic description – An armed hand with a sword is lifted from the clouds right side in a green field. There is one golden star over the arm and two golden stars under the arm.
Ideological description – The coat of arms created in year 1925 was made based on the old one. Its colors were chosen based on the heraldic laws. Researcher of heraldry prof. Armands Vijups once has stated that the main reason why the coat of arms depicts an armed hand is, because it was a popular element of Hungarian heraldry (The nationality of the Polish ruler Stephen Báthory was Hungarian) and the Finnish heraldry. In contrast to the old (united Valka) coat of arms, in the new one (year 1925) the arm was turned from the right side and in the green field were located three golden stars symbolizing the Latvian Republic.
- Year 1286, the first time when the name “Valka” can be found in historical sources. (Debt book of Riga City).
- Year 1422, the first discussion between the Livonian states is held in Valka, where were decided to held a Landtag (The highest organ of the association of Livonian states) each year. 36 Landtags were held in Valka till the year 1500.
- Year 1560, Valka turns into a border the second time: the last battle between the Livonian Order and Russians is held in Ērģeme near from Valka, where the Livonian Order suffers defeat, therefore Valka is located between two hostile forces – Russia and Poland.
- 11th June of year 1584, Valka is granted with a town status by the King of Poland Stephen Báthory /1533-1586/.
- Year 1590, the rights of Valka town were confirmed by the King of Poland and the Lithuanian Grand Duke Sigismund III Vasa /1566-1632/.
- Year 1590, the coat of arms of Valka was confirmed.
- 30th August of year 1721, the former Swedish Vidzeme together with Valka is exposed by Russia.
- Year 1783, Valka was granted with county town rights but was exposed to Riga. Latvians were flowing into Valka, because the size of the county of Valka was expanded of the costs of counties of Cēsis and Riga.
- Year 1849 till year 1890, a Vidzeme congregation school seminar (founded in year 1839 in Valmiera) was operating in Valka, it was held by Jānis Cimze /1814-1881/ from year 1839 till year 1881. Significant educators, choral conductors, composers, musicians, writers, pastors, public workers and many others from Latvia and Estonia studied there. A full seminar courses graduated in total 479 students.
- 21st May of year 1868, Indriķis Zīle /1841-1919/, the organist and teacher of Valka congregation , ex. J. Cimze student, arranged the first song day in Valka district.
- Year 1889, the railway line Riga - Valka was put into exploitation.
- Year 1894 till year 1897, a railway line Valka-Rūjiena-Pērnava and Valka-Ipiķi-Estonian border was built. Valka becomes the railway junction town. That changed the urban population and ethnic composition in the town.
- 12th May of year 1917 (29th April according to the old style), Latvian Farmers Union held a foundation meeting (congress) in Valka.
- 30th November of Year 1917 (17th November according to the old style), Latvian Provisional National Council was established in Valka.
- 18th November of year 1917 (according to the old style), Latvian Provisional National Council released a Declaration, which proclaimed the Latvian autonomy.
- Summer of year 1918, the Latvian Provisional National Theatre is established in Valka.
- 15th November of year 1918, the decision of Latvia as an independent democratic republic was proclaimed in Valka by the Latvian Farmers Union Central Council.
- 1st July of year 1920, the arbitration decided to split Valka between the new independent countries – Latvia and Estonia.
- 22nd November of year 1920, the Valka suburban parts were granted town rights, only those suburban parts witch were counted to Latvia after the Latvian-Estonian border commission decision. The new town was called Valka.
- Year 1925, the coat of arms of Valka is confirmed: “An armed hand with a sword is lifted from the clouds right side in a green field. There is one golden star over the arm and two golden stars under the arm”.
- Year 1990, the border of Latvia is restored in Valka.
- 21st December of year 2007, Latvia and Estonia joined the visa-free area of Schengen – the border control in Valka/ Valga was removed.