Zvārtava parish

Zvārtava parish

Zvārtava parish contact information

Address

       Parish administration manager

          Telephone number

E-mail

“Luturskola”,
Zvārtava parish,
Valka district, LV-4735

Raitis Priede

            64728428; 29112302

         zvartava[uz]valka[punkts]lv

Territory: 170 km2

Population: 434 (01.01.2013.)

Largest populated places: Stepi, Putras, Zaķi, Jaunāmuiža, Mierkalns, Vērsīši, Cirgaļi, Kaģuciems

Coat of arms of Zvārtava parish:

Heraldic description – In a green field in the direction of a pile are three golden cones with three pairs of fir needles each, bent on the right side of the rafter.

Ideological description – The coat of arms has a green background, which stands for the fact that more than half of the parish territory is covered by forests and that the residents of the parish are working in agricultural production.

The sunny pine forests, wide swamps and clear lakes with a rich fauna and flora is like a paradise for the lovers of nature. The golden cones symbolizes the faith in parish future development (from a small seed till a big tree); Three – symbolizes that the world is divided into three parts (sky – land - water) and that we have three time cycles (was – is - will). Author of the coat of arms – Vladimirs Ladusāns.

Geographical position

The parish of Zvartava is located in Valka district, in the north-east of Latvia. The parish has borders with the Republic of Estonia (20 km of total borderline along the river Gauja), Gaujiena parish of Alūksne district, Grundzāle parish of Smiltene district, Vijciems and Valka parishes of Valka district.

Auto routes, such as Valka – Vireši (regional development project “Northern String” phase) 22 km, Vecbilska – Cirgaļi 7,3 km, Cirgaļi – Palsmane – Ūdrupe 2 km, are crossing the territory of the parish. 51 km are the total road length that belongs to the local government.

Parish area was crossed by ancient trade routes, Cēsis – Verava and Pleskava highways, by which the Estonian and Russian traders traveled. The high number of pubs is an indicator for the live traffic in the history. The Baltic Sea was connected with the cities of North Russia by Pleskava highway.

Most part of the territory is located in “Aumeisteru” mound, which borders with the Seda plains and the Vidusgauja valleys. The highest point is “Vasukalns” (88,8 m above sea level).

Total area of lakes are 477 hectares. The biggest lakes in Valka district are located in the territory of this parish, such as Salainis 77,8 hectares, Vēderis 50,9 hectares, Vadainis 49,6 hectares and others 13 lakes, which are larger than one hectare. The biggest rivers are Gauja and its tributaries Stepupe, Kāršupīte. Total area of swamps are 462,8 hectares.

History

A closer look with the history of the parish you can get by reading the book “Iršu dārzs” by Uģis Niedra and the book “Mans skaistais ģimnāzijas laiks” by Jānis Zariņš.

Today’s Zvārtava parish historically is formed from two parishes – Zvārtava and Cirgaļi (Aumesiteru) parishes. Administrative-territorial reforms have affected these parishes over the years.

2nd November of year 1945, the villages of Zvārtava, Cirgaļi, Aima and Aumeisteri were created.

14th June of year 1954, the village of Aima is added to Zvārtava village and the village of Cirgaļi is added to Aumeisteri village.

1st February of year 1961, the village of Aumeisteri is divided and added to Zvārtava and Grundzāle villages.

10th January of year 1967, a share of Zvārtava village is added to Gaujiena village.

25th October of year 1979, a share of Zvārtava village is added to Grundzāle village.

25th March of year 1949, 161 resident were banished from Cirgaļi parish mainly to Omska and Tomska districts as “kulaki” and nationalists. While form Zvārtava parish – 71 resident.

 “Ozolu” elementary school is located in the parish, the school was built in year 1726. Writer Jēkabs Zeibolts learned in this school. 65 children are learning in this school nowadays.

Notable persons from this district – water-color artist Rūdolfs Pērle, buried in “Aumeisteru” cemetery, poets Eduards Sināts and Gunārs Selga, photo artists Juris and Andris Krieviņš, Admiral Gaidis Zeibots.

Cultural and natural objects

“Vadaiņu” swamp 288 hectares, it belongs to specially protected natural territories. There are several protected trees and plants: “Jauntiliku” juniper, great-trees – oak, linden, plants – cross-leaf gentian, meadow pasque-flower, daphne mezereum etc.

There are several national and local significance archaeological and artistic monuments located in the territory of the parish. “Lācīšu” and “Veckurpnieku” mounds, “Eļmu”, “Mieniķu”, “Zaķu”, “Putru” ancient burial grounds, “Bedņu” holly linden, “Tiliku Jāņakalns” – places of worship, “Buliņu” medieval cemetery.